Latchel UI/UX Designer
Do You Want to Grow a Small Team and Have a Big Impact?
Latchel is a Y Combinator-backed, high growth, and well-funded startup seeking a Senior UI/UX Designer for our rapidly growing team. We are a fully-remote company and invest heavily in creating a strong culture to keep us connected.
We have 4 engineers and the time has come to hire a dedicated designer. This is where you come in.
Our Design Challenges
We are a tech-enabled operations company. This means our technology is designed to solve real-world operations challenges and simplify the oftentimes ugly interface between technology and the real world.
Our clients are property managers and we act as their 24/7 maintenance department. This means our software has a diverse range of users: the property managers, their tenants, their (and our own) contractors, their clients (the property owners), as well as our in-house operations team and on-demand maintenance troubleshooters.
If you enjoy creating simplicity where others see complexity, this is a great opportunity for you.
Early Problems to Solve
It is important for our clients (and our own team) to understand the history of a maintenance request. Right now we log all activities and changes that have happened to a maintenance request (i.e. scheduled request, confirmed complete, received invoice, updated description, etc.). All of this information is visible, but not easily digestible to quickly understand. This will likely be the first large project you work on.
Set up and configuration of new accounts can be difficult and overwhelming for our customers. For example, a customer may have hundreds of properties spread across several portfolios. Each portfolio may have its own rules and preferences that need to be stored in Latchel. In addition, individual property owners may have their own rules and preferences. Our customers need to easily manage these diverse sets of rules. This will likely be the second large project you work on.
Be the founding member of our design team within a high growth startup. You will establish our design practices and help grow our design team.
- Work closely with the product team (currently founders, soon a larger product team) and engineering team to help meet company goals.
Identify where there are needs to improve our process, design, or anything in the company and help make it better.
Compensation and Qualifications
We are hiring experienced designers who are capable of working independently and as part of a team. Unfortunately as such a small company we cannot support junior level designers at this time. We expect you to have familiarity and well-developed technical expertise in design tools and best practices and the professional maturity required to work remotely. You also will need to teach us what tools are necessary for us to work together (we currently use Figma, but are open to switching). This generally means 5+ years of experience but this is a guideline not a rule.
We are a heavy operations focused B2B company. Functional designs are more important than aesthetics. This is best if you have experience working on B2B platforms, especially with large amounts of information the user needs to access and understand. Think about designing for Salesforce, not Pinterest.
We use opencomp.com to set salary and equity. For hires outside of the US, we use letsdeel.com to pay (and also base salaries off of opencomp.com and a generous cost of living adjustment)
For our US hires, we also have great nationwide medical, dental, and vision plans and a 401k (with matching!). International hires can purchase medical and other benefits through Deel.
Interview Process & How to Apply
Here’s what to expect from the interview process.
- Apply by sending your resume, a brief introduction, and your portfolio to email@example.com with [Designer] in the subject line.
- You will receive a link to schedule a brief phone call with one of the founders. We’ll explain more about the company and answer any questions you have.
- After that call, you’ll receive a link to schedule your panel interview. The panel interview will consist of three parts:
- You will give a 20 minute presentation showcasing one of your projects. This is your time to present–we will save our questions for the end during a 10 minute Q&A.
- We will present a hypothetical problem for launching a brand new product and you will collaborate with the team to present your solution (~30 minutes).
- You will then have 2-3 additional interviews (30 minutes each). Each interview will be with 2 team members. Please be prepared with lots of questions for us, too!
- We are a fully remote company. All interviews will be conducted on Google Meet.
< Go back to the careers page